Low Country Boil Recipe for Tailgating
A Low Country Boil is a great tailgate dinner, excellent for serving up large quantities of tasty food.
But you can also scale it down for a more intimate affair. It really is a perfect southern meal.
Like many other Southern meals, the low country boil can be customized to your liking – add more shrimp, crab legs, or crawfish.
You can make it as spicy as you like it with extra or no jalapenos and you can substitute the Andouille sausage with a milder version.
We’ve seen carrots, herbs, and who knows what else in there to give the main ingredients more flavor.
Go wild and experiment with your low country boil!
The Right Equipment
You can use a large stockpot for a smaller low country boil, but for a tailgate size boil, you’ll want a propane outdoor cooker like this one from King Kooker.
Note the basket that will drain the water and leave it in the pot for your next round. Depending on how much Old Bay Seasoning (or other spices) you add, the low country boil can get quite spicy as you make subsequent batches. Most people love this, but you need to be forewarned.
Make sure you have enough propane for about an hour of cooking time (for each batch).
Low Country Seafood Boil
A great tailgate dinner for a large crowd.
- 30 qt water
- 1 c Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 lb potatoes, small to medium
- 2 lb Andouille or other spicy sausage, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 Jalapenos, large chunks
- 2 red peppers, large chunks
- 2 onions, large, quartered
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- 8 corn ears, cut into quarters (2-3 inches each)
- 4 lb shrimp, medium, with shells
- Bring water to a boil with Old Bay seasoning
- Add potatoes, cook 5 minutes
- Add onions, peppers, jalapenos, lemon, and sausage. Cook 15 minutes.
- Add corn. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Cook until shrimp are done, about 3 minutes.
- Drain all contents from water. Spread on newspaper. Enjoy!
Serve your low country boil with warm bread and your favorite adult beverage. Perhaps the Sweet Tea Vodka Lemonade is to your liking? Another option is a spicy habanero margarita.
A Perfect Southern Meal
How have you spiced up your low country boil?
Let everyone know what makes your version the best by commenting below!
Finish off the perfect Southern meal with the Banana Pudding Cake.
Like this recipe? Pin for later!