Cuban Black Bean Soup Perfect for Theme Tailgate
If you are making Cuban food, you have to have black beans and rice. It’s like the law or something.
This traditional Cuban Black Bean Soup is perfect to make ahead of time for your RV tailgate.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for various products below. You get the same low prices and we earn a small commission to help us buy more RV tailgating gadgets. Or game tickets if you go on a shopping spree.
While this recipe for Cuban black bean soup takes a long time, your patience will be rewarded.
It’s best to make this ahead of time – if you let it cool and sit in the fridge, the flavors will continue to meld into something absolutely wonderful.
I cooked the black bean soup ahead of the tailgate, let it cool and then put it in the fridge.
Then on game day, I hooked the Crock Pot up in the RV, added some more water, and let it warm back up during the game. It was ready to eat as soon as we got back from the game.
Mom was in the house while I was cooking this black bean soup and she proclaimed it the best smelling thing ever!
Don’t be surprised if you find someone sitting down with a bowl of just black beans. Mom ended up having some for breakfast!
- 1 lb black beans, dried
- 3 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 c olive oil
- 2 onion, large, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. wine vinegar
- Wash beans. Soak in large stock pot, for at least 8 hours, until beans swell. Make sure that the water consistently covers the beans. As they soak up the water, you may need to add more water.
- Drain water from beans and add fresh water to completely cover the beans.
- Add 1 chopped green bell pepper to the beans.
- Cook until soft, about 45 minutes.
- In a medium to large skillet, heat oil and add chopped onion, remaining chopped bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until soft.
- Remove one cup of black beans from the pot and smash. Add to onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Add smashed black beans, onion, bell peppers and garlic to black bean pot. If needed, add more water to make sure beans are completely covered.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, sugar, and bay leaves to pot. Cover and boil for one hour.
- Transfer to large crock pot. Add wine vinegar. Cook on low overnight.
- Serve hot with rice.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for various products below. You get the same low prices and we earn a small commission.
Best Crock-Pots for RV Tailgating
There are a lot of Crock-Pots out there.
But there are a few features that I really like in a Crock-Pot that make it perfect for RV tailgating:
- Locking Lid Feature The locking lid feature means you can cook on the go. Don’t worry about spills while the black bean soup is in your Crock-Pots even while you are going down the road.
- Programmable Tell the Crock-Pots exactly how long you want the black bean soup to cook and then shift it into warm mode. That way your meal won’t be dried out or burnt if the football game goes into overtime or just takes a really long time.
- Large Capacity Hey, you may not be feeding a football team. But you are feeding an army of football fans! Make sure you have enough food for everyone with a large capacity Crock-Pots.
- Dishwasher Safe The stoneware – ie the large pot that food actually goes in – is dishwasher safe. Sure, you may not have one in the RV but it sure is nice to have the option to put it in the dishwasher when you get home for easier cleanup.
Enjoy Your Cuban Black Bean Soup!
I hope you enjoy this traditional style Cuban Black Bean Soup recipe. It may take a long time to make, but your patience will be rewarded.
Like this recipe? Pin for later!